Since leaving uni I've never really figured out where I fit in. During my third year I struggled trying to place myself 'in industry' because I like to do a bit of everything. I was never certain that I wanted to work for a magazine or be a designer in a company. There was so much pressure to focus your FMP to industry folk that would want to hire you that I cracked and thought this was the be all and end all, but it really wasn't.
After graduating the last thing I wanted to do was go into full time work. Yes I looked for jobs but with no determination and no interest in them. I got part time work and decided to focus on me. On what I actually want to do. What I actually enjoy doing.
Throughout the last year I have swapped and changed artistic styles and mediums. From doing a print one day to drawing in detail with coloured pencil. The problem is I enjoy doing too much! Recently, however I have started to hone in on one skill, linoprinting.
Printing with lino has always been one of my favourite things to do since school. Yes its hard and it takes forever but I think that why I enjoy it. I did a lot more screen printing at uni which was fun and a great way to print editions but I always go back to lino. It's the way that you have to work hard and are so physically involved from beginning to end. You do all the hard work and learn from your mistakes. I've always been one to go back to basics and lino does it for me.
In the last couple of months I have set up an Etsy shop and made myself create new prints regularly, and its been going well. Sales are still slow but then it's still really exciting when someone does buy something even if it is just a postcard. It's kept me motivated and more determined to do well and by focusing on just creating linopints I have improved my skills. I'm still working it all out and my press is a bit hit and miss sometimes but I think thats the beauty of it. No two prints are the same, and I kind of prefer when they don't come out right and have a bit of texture to them, it adds to it... but maybe thats just me.
After my linoprint design being chosen for the Secret 7' project I have been wanting to develop it further and had an idea for a new print, a tattooed pin up girl in the same lined illustration. I tried it out and its probably one of my favourite prints! From this i've just begun to explore more tattoo imagery and I'm loving it and the response seems to be really good.
I feel like I'm finally beginning to find a style I like working in and can develop into a series or project and I'm really happy with my work at the minute. I'm glad I stuck it out and didn't get stuck in a job I hate, I am looking for a design related job so I can get out of retail but I can feel myself creating a name for myself as well and things are getting exciting.
L x
